Saturday, May 31, 2008

Serenity..............

I HAVE BEEN CLEAN FOR 15 YEARS!
A TOTAL OF 5479 DAYS!


Throughout the course of writing my story I had been asked where I found my strength. I'm not a very religious person, but one prayer that was constant in my everyday life of recovery was the Serenity Prayer. It is a prayer that was adopted by all 12 Step Programs.

GOD . . .
Grant us the Serenity to accept the things we cannot change.
The Courage to change the things we can . . .
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

Each line of this prayer helped me:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.

The first line of the prayer is asking us to know when to let things go, and to let them go with peace. Every day there will come into our lives people and situations we have no control over. When we can realize that we have no power to change them, we can start working on what we can change, which is ourselves and how we react to certain people and situations.

The courage to change the things I can.

The second line of the prayer is a reminder that it can, indeed, take courage to make changes in our lives. Change may be very frightening for some, even if it is moving from a bad situation into a better situation. Letting go of negative relationships and situations are not always easy. We may still love the person; we may be use to the situation, and find the familiarity comforting. That is why it is important to ask for the courage to be able to make these changes and to remember that no one is expected to do this on their own. Whether we turn to a higher power, close friends or family, or a family doctor or counselor, there is someone there to help make the transition a little easier.

And the wisdom to know the difference.

This may be the most important part of the prayer, for if we lack the wisdom to know when change is possible or not, we may find ourselves beating our heads against the proverbial “brick wall.” We have to remember that we cannot force other people to change, and that sometimes we have no power to change certain situations. Sometimes it is actually just better to move ourselves out of that situation rather than try to force change on others.

The key to happiness does not lie in changing our outer world, but in changing how we see the outer world by changing our inner world. Serenity is found within us, and one way to find that inner peace is to follow the steps of the Serenity Prayer.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry I couldn't jump the gun like everyone else but now that it's official...

CONGRATS on 15 years.

That is quite an accomplishment and hopefully at 15 years you are exactly where you want to be in life!

Weak Player said...

I was so busy with getting my full time poker game in gear this month that I failed to observe 10 years of being cigarette free. Such a horrible addication and no 12 step program for it. Not that I could do it because I am even less religious than you.

I am really happy for you. Congrats.

muhctim said...

In many ways our outlook on this thing called clean and sober, really life in general, are very similar. I am not religious either, but it doesn't take long to figure out that there is something out there, and he/she/it isn't near as prejudice as the religious fear mongers would lead us to believe. I think you have done some wonderful 12th step work here over the past several weeks in particular, but over the past 15 years in general. There are a lot of lives you have touched and are touching who are better for that fact. Thanks ((((((Big Hugg))))))- to you and Tom

John G. Hartness said...

Happy late birthday. Your story is heart-wrenching and inspiring. I wept at your losses and am amazed by your courage.