Thursday, May 22, 2008

How I Found Recovery! Part 10

I HAVE BEEN CLEAN FOR 14 YEARS, 11 MONTHS, and 21 DAYS!
A TOTAL OF 5470 DAYS!

I had to quit my job and resign myself to the fact that I would be couch bound. Since I was on bed rest my friends from recovery brought a meeting to me in the comfort of my own home, I have been truly blessed with having such loving and caring friends. I was okay with that knowing that the end result would be my baby. So after very long days, very long weeks, and very, very, very long months our first year anniversary was approaching. Tom was going to take me out for a nice dinner on our anniversary even though I was swollen from head to toe because of the heat that August presents to us but I was game for anything just to get out of the house. Well the morning of our anniversary as I was getting up from the couch around 8:00am I felt this big gush of water come out of me. I call Tom at work and he rushes home to take me to the hospital. Weeeeeeeeee the baby is coming.......... We arrive at the hospital around 9:00 am and I was only 4 centimeters dilated so that meant I had a long road ahead of me. I was determined to do this drug free, well after about 10 hours of being in labor when my doctor came in to check me, I told him that I didn't care about the drug free thing anymore that I was in too much pain and that he should give me a shot of something, it didn't matter if the shot was a shot of whiskey or a painkiller I needed something. Being the good doctor that he was, he said come on Lori you can do this and I'm not going to give you anything that has a narcotic in it, however I will give you a non-narcotic epidural, I was like if it takes away the pain go for it. After being in labor for 17 hours and 55 mins the big moment was here.

Kyra Anastasia came into this world on Aug 2 1996 at 6lbs, 7 oz and 17 inches long. She was born with a head full of hair and she was the most beautiful baby I had ever seen. (I'm sure every parent says the same thing) She was my miracle baby and I would treat her like the princess she was. We took her home 24 hours after delivery. All my friends and family came to see her right away because they couldn't believe that I finally had a baby. You see I have 17 godchildren and I think the reason being was everyone thought I would never have a baby, and for some reason my friends and family thought I should have children around me. However I do love each and everyone of my godchildren although most of them have their own families now and I don't get to see them at all but they all hold a very special place in my heart.

Well on Aug 5th I would be turning 35, as I sat rocking my baby girl I thought to myself this is what it was all about, a loving husband, a beautiful daughter, my family talked to me now, we had the house with the white picket fence, what more could I ask for. I've heard so many times in an NA meeting to keeping coming back until the miracle happens. Well for me this was my miracle. What I wanted for my birthday was to go to a meeting, lord knows I needed one at that point. Kyra went to her first meeting when she was only 3 days old.

To be continued........

5 comments:

Fuel55 said...

Vive la minidonk!

Unknown said...

ROOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM


CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OhCaptain said...

Belated congrats! Babies are sooooooo coooooooool!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Baby Girls are the best.

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

What a fucking compelling story, Lori. I just read the whole thing in one fell swoop and could not stop.

So glad you turned things around.