Saturday, May 17, 2008

How I Found Recovery! Part 5

I HAVE BEEN CLEAN FOR 14 YEARS, 11 MONTHS, and 16 DAYS!

A TOTAL OF 5465DAYS!

Now during the course of time from getting out of rehab through the 6 months, I didn't stop using, because remember even my mother said I didn't have a problem and I knew that I didn't have a problem so there was no harm. I was smart enough not to buy it from just anyone, so a friend would hook me up so I was good to go.

Talk about a downward spiral......... I went days upon days without any sleep, I never ate which brought my weight down to 75lbs and that was soak and wet And the nice part was I didn't have to work. My mother the great enabler made sure all my bills were paid and that I had extra spending money for some of my wants, I went home occasionally to see my mom, but what I really went home for was money, and more money, and more money...... You see in my mind I had it made, I had someone willing to pay my living expenses, someone to support my habit, and I thought I looked good, hell no one my age was 75lbs. So my outlook was "look out world here I come"

After living what I thought was the "HIGH LIFE", my mom had called to tell me that she had been to the doctor. She had arthritis almost for as long as I could remember. She had two plastic hips because her hips were deteriorating. After that she seemed to live a normal life without much pain.After years of going strong, her arms and legs were starting to be effected by the arthritis. She would go and get cortisone shots to ease the pain, but after that stopped working, her doctor told her about a new medicine in the experimental stage that might help her with the pain. Well at this point she was willing to try anything to be pain free. The drug wasn't on the market yet, but she signed papers stating that she was willing try it as an experimental drug. The side effects were endless with one of them being thinning of the blood. The medicine did help but she was starting to be effected with the sign of thinning of the blood with developed into acute lymphatic leukemia. It is usually found in children so they weren't sure how they were going to treat her as an adult. The course of treatment was then decided upon using the same as for children but only increasing the dosages of chemotherapy. After 2 months of treatment she was finally in remission. She was doing so good. She took her usual trip to Atlantic City every Monday on a local bus trip with a group of her friends.(Yep I get it honest, mother loved to play the slots, father loved the horses and cards)

To be continued..........

No comments: