Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sometimes It's Better To Lose and Do The Right Thing, Then To Win and Do The Wrong Thing!

If all my wonderful blogger friends could give me some input on this hand I would really appreciate it. I had the lead most of the Mookie with not good results...... I know that you would need to see my whole hand history to evaluate how I played over all, but I'm just looking for input on this hand for it is the one that took me out of the Mookie. Did I do the right thing?

Full Tilt Poker Game #5973671869: The Mookie (42845994),
Table 6 - 150/300 Ante 25 - No Limit Hold'em - 23:51:55 ET - 2008/04/09
Seat 1: VinNay (9,619)
Seat 2: pokerpeaker (6,758)
Seat 4: hoyazo (15,664)
Seat 5: katitude (5,564)
Seat 6: Donkette (7,567)
Seat 7: pvanharibo (8,041)
Seat 9: tilt away (4,900)
VinNay antes 25
pokerpeaker antes 25
hoyazo antes 25
katitude antes 25
Donkette antes 25
pvanharibo antes 25
tilt away antes 25
Donkette posts the small blind of 150
pvanharibo posts the big blind of 300
The button is in seat #5
*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to Donkette [Qd Ah]
tilt away has 15 seconds left to act tilt away folds
VinNay folds
pokerpeaker folds
hoyazo folds
katitude folds
Donkette raises to 1,075
pvanharibo has 15 seconds left to act
pvanharibo raises to 8,016, and is all in
Donkette calls 6,467, and is all in
pvanharibo shows [Kh Jh]Donkette shows [Qd Ah]
Uncalled bet of 474 returned to pvanharibo
*** FLOP *** [2h As 7h]*** TURN *** [2h As 7h] [Jd]*** RIVER *** [2h As 7h Jd] [5h]pvanharibo shows a flush, King high
Donkette shows a pair of Aces
pvanharibo wins the pot (15,259) with a flush, King highDonkette stands up
*** SUMMARY ***Total pot 15,259 Rake 0Board: [2h As 7h Jd 5h]
Seat 1: VinNay folded before the Flop
Seat 2: pokerpeaker folded before the Flop
Seat 4: hoyazo folded before the Flop
Seat 5: katitude (button) folded before the Flop
Seat 6: Donkette (small blind) showed [Qd Ah] and lost with a pair of Aces
Seat 7: pvanharibo (big blind) showed [Kh Jh] and won (15,259) with a flush, King high
Seat 9: tilt away folded before the Flop

16 comments:

SirFWALGMan said...

I think you could go either way there. You had 20-25x the blinds so you could have folded and picked a better spot.

However it is not a bad hand against a very aggressive opponent. She could really have ATC.

I personally would have folded there and kicked her ass heads up.. but that is just me because I hate racing. :).

F-Train said...

Surprisingly Waffles got this one pretty much right.

Your raise from the SB looks steal-ish. So the LAG on your left thinks you probably don't have very much and can knock you off your hand simply by jamming.

The fact that she jams so often and does not like to play after the flop means she could have ATC here. She's simply relying on the fact that you won't want to go bust racing your stack as a 60/40 favorite and that you don't have a premium hand (say, AK or AA-TT).

This is precisely why I hate NLHE these days - nobody wants to play after the flop anymore.

Mondogarage said...

Ditto the above -- neither play (calling or folding to the shove) is necessarily wrong. A fold in that spot would have been fine; possibly a slightly larger PF raise would have had the intended effect.

But as aggressive as LJ is capable of being, your AQ is ahead of her range often enough for the call to be correct.

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

LJ was right. These comments are starting to put me on tilt.

CarmenSinCity said...

Are u on myspace?????? If you aren't, I don't think you can view my pictures - are you on facebook? they are on there too.

Okay - try this link...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=32203&id=563651436

Can you view that?

If so, he's in those pictures - his name is Tim.

Loretta8 said...

this is an insta-call

folding here would be the equivalent of lighting money on fire

Donkette said...

Alan - I'm not sure why these comments are tilting you. I was just asking my friends for some help. We all know what kind of drama A-Q causes, so I wanted to analyze my decision.

Loretta8 said...

the comments are tilting Alan because there is no way folding should even cross your mind in this situation.

LJ is probably shoving any ace here, so you often have her crushed and are almost never dominated

Shrike said...

I hate calling here, but it's the right play against this opponent most of the time.

The problem is, you're only a 65-ish % favourite most of the time. Other times you're drawing very thin, and a small percentage of the time you're a big favourite.

That being said, you've got AQ. AQ is my biggest loser in tournament play, so I'd likely fold and plan to re-steal against LJ at the next good opportunity. :)

Riggstad said...

I absolutely call there Lor...

It was the right situation, against the right opponent, in the blinds, and at the right time of the tournament...

unlucky indeed, but you made the right call

RaisingCayne said...

I too am confused to see these comments tilt people. I thought it was a great situation to inquire about.

I share the sentiments of Waffles and F-Train and believe this is a situation that's pretty opponent-dependent. And, with the villain here being LJ, (who's pretty well known for being real LAG late in tourneys,) I think this is a good call. I don't believe folding here is equivalent to burning money, as Loretta puts it, but I do think this was a great call. I could see situations where your opponent may be of the tighter variety, and a fold is justifiable here. But probably not vs. LJ.

(No offense LJ!)

Loretta8 said...

shrike:"The problem is, you're only a 65-ish % favourite most of the time."

LOL

Fuel55 said...

http://fuel55.blogspot.com/2007/03/standard-preflop-scenarios-against.html

kurokitty said...

One point that's being missed here is that you're playing the player and this is an ultra-long series. You want to get in the face of aggros and let them wonder whether it will be worth it to 3-bet jam the next time around.

Shrike said...

Subtle Canadian humour there, Loretta -- I'm glad you noticed. ;)

Of course I'd call there. I wouldn't like it, but I'd call.

Wwonka said...

I don't mind the call with AQ, Pvan can be very aggro and is probably shoving with a wide range there.

These are the flips you need to win in order to win these things.

Peace