Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Give the Guy Some Credit

It's been an interesting couple of days in the poker world. My husband, ANIguy, has cashed twice in the last two blogger tournaments. Last night he finished 2nd in the
Skill Series to Loretta8, and the night before he finished 7th in the MATH.

ANIguy drives me nuts sometimes. Probably more nuts than how some of you react to his girly chat comments.

But here's what pisses me off.

Nobody has been giving him an ounce of credit for actually knowing a bit about poker.

Now I know that Waffles is all fired up about ANIguy hitting a card on 7th to give him a big pot and busting him from the Skill Series, which is what a lot of you seem to be focused on, but if you read through the comments, it's clear that the top finishers in the tournament hit the right cards at the right time to get to the end. LJ even discussed how she was on the bad end of some hands, but on the good end of some others.

To quote LJ: oh well, it was pretty fun, and i'm sure i had some hot suckouts of my own along the way.

You should all know by now (and if you don't know this, then you're delusional) that you have to get lucky a couple of times in the course of a tournament to be able to make a deep run. Sometimes the cards fall your way, sometimes they don't. If you can't accept that part of the game, then you will be a miserable person every time that you play.

But the other side of the coin is that if all you can rely on is luck, you're never going to be consistent enough to do well over the long haul.

So this gets back to my main point.

It's about time someone gives ANIguy some credit.

On BDR last night, he was referred to as a mere "suckout artist."

A lot of you might not know ANIguy, which may be why he wasn't getting much love last night or the night before, but he's a good person.

Except when he pisses me off.

But I just want to tell you that he's a decent player. Not a pro, but not a complete donk either.

Remember, he's the one who overcame a 6 to 1 chip deficit against Waffles in the Stud-8 Skill Series event a while ago. The event where Waffles could have won naked pictures. If Waffles ever needed any motivation to play his game, I'm guessing naked pictures would be at the top of the list.

8 comments:

bayne_s said...

1) Sorry no credit for beating Waffles HU even with a 6:1 chip disadvantage. Waffles would not even have had blood flowing to his tiny brain and was mousing with his left hand with thoughts of CK pics on line.

2) Luck is certainly a big factor in Limit tournies getting deep for everyone, the skill is maintaining enough chips to allow one to get lucky.

3) Waffles has long forgotten he was all in pre with 57s and won to even be alive for ANI to abuse.

4) The only suckouts that are remembered ever are the ones that are lost and the ones that allow a win of a big prize.

BWoP said...

Thanks to ANIguy, as far as the interweb is concerned, I am always wearing clothes.

Fuel55 said...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Unknown said...

I agree with fuel...

BOOOOOOOM!

WTG Aniguy!

SirFWALGMan said...

Bayne is too dumb for words.

Ani is a fine player. That hand while not horrible beyond belief was extremely terrible. I think he would even admit that. I mean you could see 2 of the 4 9's you needed to win AND if you paid attention you would have also seen the 3rd of 4 9's dealt earlier.

And yes I am whining because I lost a 1 out hand to a person who should have folded IMHO, on a marginal at best play, and I was so close, and I has a 40% fav to his 20% and it sucks.

KajaPoker said...

How can a grown man go by the name ANI (Annie)??? I Keed. If he started his own blog we might be able to give him props. Getting through a minefield of donkeys is never an easy task so anyone who can do it two days in a row knows a little bit about what he's doing.

Now, I know we didn't get off on the right foot, you and I, because of one of my posts. But I have some constructive criticism for you.

You have to stop calling big raises with ATo/A6s out of position. It is not going to pay off in the long run. Sure you get lucky here and there and catch the right cards which in turn gives you confidence to do it more often, but it's a big leak.

The other thing I noticed is that after you built that huge stack in the Mook you tightened up extremely. You have to take advantage when you have a stack. You can't let others catch up.

Please, please, please don't take it the wrong way. I know you have come a long long way and I am just trying to help. And if you think I should mind my own business then that's fine with me too.

Donkette said...

Happy Birthday Kaja, thanks for the comment. I really do appreciate your input, I'm always looking for someone's input to help me better my game, and what you said is so true about after taking the chip lead I slow down, I need to now move to the next level of learning this game... Thanks again, very much aprreciated....

kurokitty said...

I thought ANI was solid in the HORSE Skillz. He constantly kept adding to his stack and was the one player I always watched at my table.