Thursday, February 28, 2008

My Foray into Mookie Greatness... and missing by a hair

I love to gamble... its what I do. When I started playing Riverchasers, and learning poker, I had no real ambition to be good. Playing with freerollers was fun. That was my juice. Fun.

Although, I am competitive and I quickly realized that poker was winnable, without having to rely solely on luck. When we started playing online through the RC online tour and meeting all of you wonderful bloggers, I realized that not only did I want to win, but I also had to learn how to win.

In the beginning came flame ups with don and whoever else wanted to critique my play. I'm also a fighter, so Fuck You was an easy escape to comments such as you are a hack, or good lord, or whatever statement was on the tip of their tongues as my K 7 sooooted crushed their aces. Now I consider Don and others friends. *kisses* :)

But after reading all of your blogs, and having almost constant access to live lessons whenever I wanted, I felt it was really time to sharpen up my game. And not just to not look like an a-hole. I really wanted to improve. I think I am doing so. And not just because I took second last night, or won a skill series event. Lord knows luck had something to do with those. But I think each time out, I keep putting myself in better situations to get lucky. I know I have a long trip, but its exciting to me and I look forward to results.

Before I start, I also want to thank these guys and gals for helping me out along the way. Maybe not in a direct way, but by reading your blogs, I have come across information that I can at least dissect myself and think I have gotten something out of it as it relates to poker and other things.

So last night....

When I got to the final table, I was scared. Yes. Scared. I am not an overly aggressive player, but knew somehow I had better start. Calling has always been easy for me. Very passive. Raising has always been hard for me. I almost think of it as being confrontational. The point is it has always been easier for me to call a raise with KJ, than it has been to raise with KJ. Just my lack of experience... and my fear came from knowing I had to pull the trigger with the new aggression I think I was taught. I was just unsure of how to go about it.

But then I realized something. That I can be aggressive, and that I should be aggressive. I remembered Riggs telling me sometime ago to "keep the pressure on. Make them have to make the decision". There's a huge difference between raising with KQ and calling with KQ, and so on. It took me a long time to believe him. He used to scold me while watching and I would call off a huge bet with A4 or something. Then I would watch him and he would raise heavy into the blinds with some shitty Q9. I just couldn't figure out how I could be yelled at for making that call when he was willing to bet with that junk. Then he explained the difference of calling and raising. The point is, I finally got it. And I also realized that I could fold that Q junk if repopped. It quickly became easy.

I was uncomfortable at first, but then kind of had a calm come over me. I didn't want to gamble, and I finally realized that raising was not gambling... calling was. also, I had always thought in the past that whenver I raised, and got repopped, I had to defend. I wasn't raising to steal, I just was raising because I had a good hand. Not because I thought it was the best hand either, but a good hand, good enough to play.

I think I have come a long way and hope to continue to progress. Thanks so much to everyone who railed and everyone on Buddy Radio... I really felt almost embarrassed to have such support.

And one final note... Matt (I don't have his link), was such a gentleman. Some point near the end when we were heads up, I lost my internet connection. Matt folded until I got back. Thats a stand up move in my book, and I have no doubt that any of you would have done the same thing. Its just he did first, so TY TY TY....

Lj and Matt both proved to be tough competitors when we were three handed and I think, and hope that I did my best. Not really much else to say specifically about it. I just want to get your thoughts on whether or not this makes any sense...

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't give away toooooo much

BamBam said...

I only wish I could have managed to stay awake a little longer, to watch you get to FT.

That would have been sweet! Mind you, really, un-bearably and about as stupid as it gets for me sweet.

But sweet just the same.

Good game!

mookie99 said...

Congrats!

Sorry I passed out before the final table.

SirFWALGMan said...

gg donkette. Riggs is an idiot dont listen to him. I owe most of my final table finishes to being with him. However you are right about raising instead of calling.

Donkette said...

Thank you Mookie, and thanks for the tourneys on Wednesday night, win or lose I really enjoy them.

surflexus said...

Great post and Congrats!!!

Donkette said...

Okay Waffles I'm sure I may get a hate post after this, but I beg to differ with you, Riggs has taught me so much about the game, he is a good solid player, but because he is solid, it's hard to put us donkey's on anything, why you ask, because we play any two cards, you showed that last night that you play anything and everything as well as myself. There are some people in the world who show us what to do and there's some who show us what not to do, with that being said, I'll have to say, "he has showed me what to do, and you have showed me what not to do"

snakster said...

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

snakster said...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!

BWoP said...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Your comment to Waffles cracked me up!

I have to say this b/c you know I wouldn't sugar coat anything. I used to hate playing hands with you. Check-call-check-call. It's the way that a lot of players start playing . . . passive. And then when you'd river two-pair or something like that, I would curse the poker gods.

But I think that you are embracing the blogger community in a good way. Talking with people about their strategies. Analyzing hands. Accepting critiques as they come. Learning and growing.

I've learned a lot about poker and about myself from playing and chatting with this fine group of people.

And I can see that you are learning as well.

Keep it up!

Riggstad said...

HURTFUL!!!

I know you are but what am I?

Donkette said...

Fuel, Riggs is to smart to post any kind of real poker strategy in his post.........

bayne_s said...

Nice run in Mookie.

I believe it was K8 suited I ripped you for:
http://struggles-with-donkeys.blogspot.com/2007/11/hoy-wins-dispute.html

lj said...

i have a vague recollection of A6...it's been awesome to see your game change, and you were super tough at the final table. very well played.

Shrike said...

Good job, I can only imagine that you will book some wins as you continue to improve your game.

Unknown said...

Riggs is AWESOME!!!!!

Matt said...

Late to the game here, but I must say it was a pleasure playing with you. You kept me thinking the whole final table.

2nd place is no slouch either, so congrats!

Schaubs said...

A bit late myself, but congrats on the final table last week.

well done!